How do modern Americans celebrate Christmas?
The Pew Research Center’s Religion and Public Life Project just released revealing answers, especially noting the shift from how Christmas was practiced as children versus later on as adults.
The report begins,
Nine-in-ten Americans say they celebrate Christmas, and three-quarters say they believe in the virgin birth of Jesus. But only about half see Christmas mostly as a religious holiday, while one-third view it as more of a cultural holiday.
Among the questions and topics considered:
- Is Christmas more a religious or cultural holiday?
- What are your views regarding the virgin birth of Christ?
- Will you attend a religious service?
- Christmas gift giving
- Various holiday activities
- Family gatherings
- What do you most look forward to about Christmas?
- What do you dislike most about Christmas?
- Santa Claus
Read the Pew’s findings here, replete with relevant charts and interesting statistics.